Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Fri 24 Aug 2018 at 19:16:35 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > For marketing reasons they like to advertise very high bandwidth, beyond
> > what they can actually support on shared channels, and then block
> > potentially high-bandwidth services that most of their customers will
> > never use and therefor never miss.
>
> David writes:
> > I thought their concern was usage, not bandwidth (ie speed).
>
> What sort of providers?  Those with shared channels need to worry about
> bandwidth.

Sorry, but I was was looking at this from the point of view of we
consumers rather than the ISPs. The OP started the discussion, I
think, with a pitch to persuade us to prefer channels other than
email to follow mailing lists. Some have said that using newsgroups
works fine for them. The only mention of speed, bandwidth and usage
I've seen was the person who downloaded the Kernel Development index,
and that complaint was about its size, not the speed at which it was
delivered. I assume the index gets cached somewhere on the user's
machine.

I can understand that were a mailing list to be delivered via the web
on a free service supported by advertising, the discussion of
bandwidth would be highly significant, particularly for those on
dial-up.

Or are you talking about some type of "shared channel" of which I have
no knowledge?

Cheers,
David.