Re: does btrfs have a feature?

Another correction below:

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 11:50:03AM +0000, Matthew Crews wrote:
> On 8/14/18 3:26 AM, Stefan K wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm just just curious.
> > In the beginning of btrfs, most blogs, websites, magazins said btrfs will be THE next standard linux filesystem, so now after araound 10years it doesn't look so good, or?
> >
> > Who use btrfs in production? What do you think - does have btrfs a feature (because ZFS on Linux is more and more stable, RedHat said we don't want btrfs anymore and focus to xfs)
> >
> > I use btrfs on some new bare-metal machines for the root-disks, because it has a build-in RAID1 and snapshots, I know LVM and md-raid have also this possibilities but in btrfs it is much easier. I don't use it for data or other things(mail, database, etc), cause it is slow compared to ext4/xfs. I'm also wondering why the hell btrfs don't support ssd's for caching like zfs.
> >
> > thanks for you opinions!
> >
> > best regards
> > Stefan
> >

> BTRFS is still used by default on OpenSUSE.
>
> BTRFS has *mostly* feature parity with ZFS, and is considered "stable"
> for every day use, with the exception that Raid5/6 is still extremely
> dangerous to use in production. It also has the benefit of being
> included in the Linux kernel, and is usable by the Debian installer out
> of the box (so you can easily use it in Debian, whereas ZFS on root for
> Debian is not easy)
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status
>
> Licensing issues with OpenZFS prevent it from being included in the
> Linux kernel, and on Debian by default.
>
> Personally I use BTRFS on a NAS with RAID10, and I have no problems. The
> main selling point for me is data integrity and repair, something that
> LVM and md-raid do not do.
>
> BTRFS also makes it extremely easy to expand an array if you add more
> disks, WITHOUT mucking around with LVM and md-raid. Just a simple
> command (something that ZFS cannot easily do at this time)
>
> btrfs device add /dev/sdX /path/to/array
> btrfs filesystem balance /path/to/array

  “as simple as zpool add <pool name> <dev name>”

>From here:
  http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2018-August/031938.html

Note that ZoL does not yet auto-rebalance (although there is at least
one script around to do it manually - copying files - and rebalance
can also be done manually with: zfs send ...; zfs receive ...