Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

This brings up a question:  If I am Installing something outside of the Packaging Infrastructure (usually, via a TarBall), I usually install inside of my Home Directory (for example, using $PATH for ~/bin).  If I  *MUST*  make it available to other Users, I use the /usr/local/* directories.

Now the question:  Does dpkg have options for doing this?  (Or would I need to, still use the "tarball"?  (The reason I bring up dpkg, is that it, at least gives "lip service" to Dependencies).

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth Parker