Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 07:28:20 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 08/13/2018 06:59 AM, Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 06:47:02 -0500
> > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >
> >> PREAMBLE:
> >> I've downloaded a .deb file.
> >> I've recently done such an install but don't remember how.
> >> Looking at the man pages for apt, apt-get, aptitude didn't help.
> >> Couldn't come up with useful search term for wiki.
> >> Eventually recalled "dpkg -i" which worked.
> >>
> >> QUESTION:
> >> How would someone find the answer if the answer wasn't already
> >> known? I went thru the same sequence last time.
> >>

> > https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=install+.deb&gws_rd=ssl
> >
> > First hit:
> > https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/159094/how-to-install-a-deb-file-by-dpkg-i-or-by-apt
> >

> A partial "mea culpa" ;/
> I was completely focused on Debian tools and never thought of
> searching the whole web.
>
> My gut feeling is still there should be a way to use Debian tools.

Perhaps so, but you'll usually get a wider perspective from those who
actually use Debian in real life, who have a subtly different
viewpoint from that of the developers. Note the discussion in my link
about alternative ways of dealing with dependencies.

I might also point out that much Debian documentation is in the form of
man pages. As everyone agrees, they are excellent for refreshing the
memory of experienced users, but they are not always that useful to
first-time learners.

--
Joe