Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On 8/13/2018 1:47 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
PREAMBLE:
I've downloaded a .deb file.
I've recently done such an install but don't remember how.
Looking at the man pages for apt, apt-get, aptitude didn't help.
Couldn't come up with useful search term for wiki.
Eventually recalled "dpkg -i" which worked.

QUESTION:
How would someone find the answer if the answer wasn't already known?
I went thru the same sequence last time.

Googling "installing .deb package" gives the answer.

On Debian managing packages is done by "dpkg".

For security reasons, stability issues, it is not recommended to install *.deb pkgs that are not from the Debian repositories.

--
John Doe