Re: Installing Debian on a Minnowboard Turbot with installer on USB stick?

I have a confession to make…

On Jun 2, 2018, at 6:09 AM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Rick Thomas reported that the boot process of
>  firmware-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-DVD-1.iso
> fails with
>  Incorrect CD-ROM detected
> after it was re-partitioned to GPT.

On the advice of another comment in this thread, I didn’t use
    firmware-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-DVD-1.iso
for those experiments.  Instead, I used
    firmware-9.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso
to avoid any possible alpha/testing anomalies.

I neglected to say that in my earlier report.  I’m sorry for any confusion it has caused!

This afternoon, I plan to make a comprehensive set of tests:
   (a) “as-is” no messing with the partition tables at all; just dd directly to the USB stick.
   (b) an automatically gdisk-built GPT table deleting partition 1 and leaving partition 2 unmodified except for setting as type EF00.
   (c) an automatically gdisk-built GPT table based upon the original MBR table deleting partition 1 and leaving partition 2 unmodified except for setting as type EF00.
   (d) a hand-built (using disk) GPT table with partition 1 having the same start/end as the partition 2 had in the original GPT table and type EF00, and no partition 2.

I plan to start with
    debian-9.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso
because it’s the smallest (to minimizing time spend dd-ing) and has the fewest non-fully-supported features to confuse issues.  In particular, this is not the firmware-9.4 I used above.

I’ll report back as soon as I have some results.

Thanks for all the help!
Rick