Re: Fedora has a boot option that forces the installer to recognize a drive as GPT, can this be added to Debians installer?

Le 02/22/18 à 18:07, Roberto C. Sánchez a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 04:15:43PM +0000, Indo Neh wrote:
>>    There is a boot option in Fedora 'inst.gpt' which forces the Fedora 26
>>    Anaconda installer to recognize a drive as a GPT drive for the purposes of
>>    the Anaconda installer setting up the drive with a GPT partition table.
>>
>>    [1]https://rhinstaller.github.io/anaconda/boot-options.html#inst-gpt
>>
>>    Could this somehow be added to Ubiquity as this option is useful for
> Ubiquity is the Ubuntu installer.
>
> It has been a while since I did a fresh Debian install, but the Debian
> Installer Manual [0] says:
>
>     The latter becomes important when booting debian-installer on a UEFI
>     system with CSM because debian-installer checks whether it was
>     started on a BIOS- or on a native UEFI system and installs the
>     corresponding bootloader.
>
> That seems to indicate that you should not even have to tell the Debian
> installer, as it will detect whether to use GPT or not.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto
>
> [0] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/install.txt.en

It's not the same. You can have a GPT partitionned drive on a bios
machine, those are completely different features (even if some OSes only
support GPT on UEFI machines and MS-DOS partitionning on BIOS ones)