Re: non-free firmware not found despite unofficial CD

On 2017-10-13, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

>>So you are saying, it is likely
>>"cable Ethernet" doesn't work because of the
>>DMI being outdated, and "USB Ethernet" works
>>because it has nothing to do with the DMI?
>
> The thread got too long, so I'd forgotten what you'd meant by
> USB-ethernet. So yes, the thing you're doing works because it's not
> using the internet ethernet that has the firmware issue. I first thought
> you mean something like this
> http://www.cablematters.com/pc-447-101-cable-matters-superspeed-usb-30-to-rj45-gigabit-ethernet-adapter.aspx
> which should also work fine and act as a normal ethernet adapter you can
> just plug into your network, if you don't want to mess with updating the
> firmware on the system to try to get the internal ethernet working.

He might also like to try before flashing the bios or buying new
material the "noapic" kernel boot parameter the linux laptop site
referred to in the notes (although I have no idea whether it is a
sensible, viable workaround or not).

--
"A simpering Bambi narcissist and a thieving, fanatical Albanian dwarf."
Christopher Hitchens, commenting shortly after the nearly concurrent deaths