Re: Live recording

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> My understanding is that a stereo microphone is comprised of two
> microphones in a single unit. That's pretty black and white.\

There was discussion of whether there is such a thing. And I
considered two mics in one device is kinda half way between one and
two. Grey :-)

> Why you would use such a device rather than recording with two discrete
> microphones in an X-Y, ORTF, or MS (et al) configuration (but I read
> there are single, MS recording units) I dunno.

I use my C-24 because of the mind boggling sound that comes out of it.
And I can pretty easily just hang it from the ceiling in the middle of
a concert hall and get an outstanding recording.

Should have said 'used' instead  of 'use'. I got out of the recording
business when digital audio came along, and became a computer geek --
computers are as much fun as tape recorders...

MS is trouble because of the transformer(s) used to decipher the
cardioid/bidirectional mic patterns.

Jeremy's post explains all this pretty well.

--
Glenn English