Re: Jessie or stretch for server

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to install Debian on a file server (NFS and postgres) for a
> small group of people. It will be in an intranet, no direct connection
> to Internet.
>
> Should I install Jessie or Stretch? I've always used stable. My
> understanding is that at this point Stretch is quite stable, the
> versions of the packages won't change and there won't be major changes
> in the packages, only security/bug updates.
>
> In a few months the Stretch Debian installation will automatically
> become "stable". Is that correct?
>
> If I install Jessie I'll have to update very soon.

Others have already provided you with good answers. Going with Jessie
is the safe bet at the moment.

You might also find the FAQ I wrote many years ago on this very
subject http://kamarajukusumanchi.github.io/choosing_debian_distribution/choosing_debian_distribution.html
helpful. At that time Stable is called Sarge, Testing is called Etch.
Just substitute those words with Jessie and Stretch while reading it
and you should be fine! :)

hth
raju
--