Bash command completion

I put wheezy on a 386 computer last night ('aptitude dist-upgrade' from squeeze -- it'd been in the junk box for a while), and when I hit tab, bash just gives me a tab -- I have to type the whole command manually. This happens only for the user; root works fine.

I've copied the .* scripts (the ones that looked relevant to me, anyway) from /root and from a user directory on one of the (wheezy) servers, and accomplished nothing.

I looked at the scripts in /etc, but saw nothing that looked promising -- there was some talk about bash-completion, but I could see nothing in those scripts about a difference between user and root.

A solution or a link to a solution would be much appreciated.

--
Glenn English