Re: Laptop wireless problem - very slight tangent

On Mon 04 Jul 2016 at 09:48:46 (+0200), deloptes wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >>
> >> just comment out the eth1 lines from the udev file and reboot. it should
> >> add the proper one after AFAIR
> >
> > Thanks!  And AFAIR it will then be a random name that I can't remember.
> > :-(
> > Say what you like about wlan0 and eth3 they are easy to remember.  But
> > I'll do it the next time I turn the laptop on, the first thing I do.
>
> AFAIR it defaults to wlan[n] in jessie. At least when I upgraded this is
> what I observed and I vaguely remember the wlan name was conventionally
> used by other programs, but no even 40% sure.

It would be nice to know what the "it" is that chooses that default.
I have a laptop with the same IPW2200 wireless, and it has always
defaulted to eth1 in the same way as Lisi's did.

If it's a "default", that would imply that there's some way to choose
an alternative like wlan0 (which is indeed what, say, wicd will think
the interface ought to be named). How would I go about making this choice?
The installer displays something like:

Primary network interface:
eth0: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet
eth1: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection

and you have the choice of selecting one or the other.

This laptop works perfectly well with eth1. It justs needs you
to change wlan0 to eth1 in wicd when you install it (Shift-P and
type eth1 in the appropriate box).

Cheers,
David.