Re: mutt attachment error

Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> I tried to use mutt to send someone a zip file of about 50 Mb and got
> the error: "Error sending message, child exited 1 (). Could not send
> message."

> I assumed the attachment was too large and so went to
> /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/02*/ and altered the configuration to be:

>   # Message size limit. The default (used when MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT
>   # is unset) is 50 MB
>   .ifdef MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT
>   # message_size_limit = MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT # I commented this line
>   message_size_limit = 200 MB               # I added this line
>   .endif

> I restarted exim, but it had no effect.

Of course it had no effect.

The code snippet above (before your edit) does the following:

If the Macro MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT is defined
  set the config option message_size_limit to the contents of MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT

What you did was

If the Macro MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT is defined
   set the config option message_size_limit to 200MB

Since MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT is normally undefined, the code does nothing in
both cases.

What you need to do is to revert you changes and define
MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT in a file called "/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.localmacros",
which will then get included in the autogenerated config file.

Please read /usr/share/doc/exim4/README.Debian.gz as everything is
documented in there.

Grüße,
Sven.

--