Re: How to Boot with LVM

ray a écrit :
> On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 5:40:04 AM UTC-5, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> ray a écrit :
>>
>>> I have a lVM partition for the new installation.  When I select it, the
>>> installer (in manual mode) says it is not bootable and go back to setup
>>> to correct.  When I go back to setup, I don't see any way to do anything
>>> but select a VG, dm, sdx, or HDD.
>>
>> In which part of the installer is this happenning ?
>
> During installation, this is 'partition' in manual.

What was your action which triggered that "not bootable" error ?

> How does os-prober get initiated?

Actually, os-prober is called by default when running update-grub. But
by running it manually, you can check that it detects the other Debian
installation. You may need to activate the RAID arrays and LVs in order
to do so. Then you can run update-grub to actually add the new Debian
installation to the boot menu. You can instead create the boot entry by
hand if you have the knowledge.

> Can I rename the HDD boot loader before installing the second instance?

In recent versions of grub-install manpage such as the one included in
Jessie, I read about a new option --boot-loader-id which may allow to
give the bootloader directory and boot entry a specific name. Do not use
a name containing "debian" (case insensitive), because any boot entry
containing this word will be erased by the next Debian installation of
GRUB with default parameters. But I have not tested it yet. I used to
rename the directories or files in the EFI system partition by hand and
use efibootmgr to manage EFI boot entries. But efibootmgr is not an easy
tool if you're not comfortable with EFI booting.

Also consider the new --force-extra-removable option, which IIUC
installs a copy of the bootloader as EFI/boot/bootx64.efi in the EFI
system partition, the default path used when no boot entry works.
However if you use the same EFI system partition for a new installation
and choose "yes" when prompted to install the bootloader in the
removable media path, this will overwrite the default bootloader.