Re: is google earth safe to install?

On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 18:22 -0500, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> I keep forgetting about WINE -- likely because I never have used
> WINE.
>
> > From the WINE HQ web site, it appears that WINE may be a reasonable
> solution, and even a way to circumvent the  problems of running the
> intel
> code on an amd machine.

That's not how it works, see
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAMD64Faq

Q: Is this port only for AMD 64-bit [[CPUs]]?

A: No. "AMD64" is the name chosen by AMD for their 64-bit extension to
the Intel x86 instruction set. Before release, it was called "x86-64"
or "x86_64", and some distributions still use these names. Intel refers
to its AMD64 implementation as "?Intel64" previously named "?EM64T".
The architecture is AMD64-compatible and Debian AMD64 will run on AMD
and Intel processors with 64-bit support. Because of the technology
paternity, Debian uses the name "AMD64".

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson