Re: libstdc++6 breaks libboost-date-time1.55.0

On 8/1/15, Alex Yang <i@gsalex.net> wrote:
> I am using debian sid. After a recent list-upgrade, gnome-shell was
> removed.
> I found this is because the libstdc++6_5.2.1-14_amd64 package breaks the
> libboost-date-time1.55.0.
>
> Console output as below:
>
> # aptitude install gnome-shell
> evolution-data-server{a} gdm3{a} gnome-contacts{a} gnome-shell
> libboost-date-time1.55.0{a}
> libebook-1.2-16{a} libebook-contacts-1.2-1{a} libedata-book-1.2-25{a}
> libfolks-eds25{a}
> libphonenumber6{a}
> 0 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 1,166 kB/4,654 kB of archives. After unpacking 33.2 MB will be
> used.
> libstdc++6 : Breaks: libboost-date-time1.55.0 but 1.55.0+dfsg-4 is to be
> installed.

*ditto!* Kinda-sorta. The two in my case are not going to be
installed. This is coming from having just fully updated/upgraded
yesterday, and now today encountered the largest number of new
upgrades necessary yet. When I attempted to upgrade, this popped up:

+ + +
 libreoffice-core : Depends: libboost-date-time1.55.0 but it is not
going to be installed
                    Depends: libcmis-0.5-5 but it is not going to be installed
+ + +

That part about "you have held broken packages" usually tells me it's
about something outside the scope of the single repository I used. I
then make an executive decision whether or not to continue with the
affected install (by temporarily pulling from other repositories).

It's not the case this time. Just for kicks before doing anything
else, I tried installing and received this back (for both):

+ + +
libboost-date-time1.55.0 is already the newest version.
libboost-date-time1.55.0 set to manually installed.

libcmis-0.5-5 is already the newest version.
libcmis-0.5-5 set to manually installed.
+ + +

Got the bright idea to attempt the upgrade without libreoffice-core =
nope, not gonna happen:

+ + +
 libreoffice : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it is not
going to be installed
 libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer : Depends: libreoffice-core but
it is not going to be installed
 libreoffice-base : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it is
not going to be installed
 libreoffice-base-core : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but
it is not going to be installed
 libreoffice-base-drivers : Depends: libreoffice-core but it is not
going to be installed
 libreoffice-calc : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it is
not going to be installed
 libreoffice-draw : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it is
not going to be installed
 libreoffice-impress : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it
is not going to be installed
 libreoffice-math : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it is
not going to be installed
 libreoffice-report-builder-bin : Depends: libreoffice-core but it is
not going to be installed
 libreoffice-sdbc-firebird : Depends: libreoffice-core but it is not
going to be installed
 libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb : Depends: libreoffice-core but it is not
going to be installed
 libreoffice-writer : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it
is not going to be installed
 python3-uno : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.4.5-2) but it is not
going to be installed
+ + +

So then I decided to "cherry pick" my installs by leaving out
libreoffice for last. I received this message:

+ + +
  coinor-libcbc3 coinor-libcgl1 coinor-libclp1 coinor-libcoinmp1
coinor-libcoinutils3 coinor-libosi1 firebird2.5-common
firebird2.5-common-doc
  firebird2.5-server-common fonts-dejavu fonts-sil-gentium
fonts-sil-gentium-basic libabw-0.1-1 libboost-system1.55.0
libe-book-0.1-1 libetonyek-0.1-1
  libfbclient2 libfbembed2.5 libfreehand-0.1-1 libmspub-0.1-1
libmwaw-0.3-3 liborcus-0.10-0 libpagemaker-0.0-0
libreoffice-java-common libwps-0.4-4
  lp-solve
+ + +

So that's what I ALMOST did. And received this back:

+ + +
  libreoffice-core python3-uno
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  coinor-libcbc3 coinor-libcgl1 coinor-libclp1 coinor-libcoinmp1
coinor-libcoinutils3 coinor-libosi1 firebird2.5-common
firebird2.5-common-doc
  firebird2.5-server-common fonts-dejavu fonts-sil-gentium
fonts-sil-gentium-basic libabw-0.1-1 libboost-system1.55.0
libe-book-0.1-1 libetonyek-0.1-1
  libfbclient2 libfbembed2.5 libfreehand-0.1-1 libmspub-0.1-1
libmwaw-0.3-3 liborcus-0.10-0 libpagemaker-0.0-0 libreoffice
  libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base
libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-base-drivers libreoffice-calc
libreoffice-draw
  libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common libreoffice-math
libreoffice-report-builder-bin libreoffice-sdbc-firebird
libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb
  libreoffice-writer libwps-0.4-4 lp-solve
  libreoffice-core python3-uno
+ + +

ACK! It's additionally going to completely remove libreoffice. I'm
done. I quit. I call "uncle". I'm throwing in the towel. Plan B is
I'll just upgrade everything but libreoffice for now then attempt
libreoffice by itself afterward to see if the error disappears. It'll
be a while before I know because that's some 75MB of upgrade on
dialup.

Closing this with a disclosure: This is the first time I've 'fessed
this up but had actually intended to approach this specifically as its
own topic. I "install" rather than "upgrade". I understand how that
would make things different. It would potentially delete and replace
whole/all files/directories rather than simply plug in tidbits here
and there.

Taking the "install" route has been my ongoing *_CHOICE_* all this
time, though, because I don't EVER run into the upgrade problems so
many others do. Today is the FIRST TIME I can remember ever hitting a
wall....

If anyone has questions specific to mine, my apologies but I won't be
around computer all day. Going back out to wrangle that fallen Hickory
tree again..

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey