Need help with disk config.

Greetings;

In the next couple of days I will have a much better computer. Not 64bit, but at least faster and with more disk.

It will have 4x1TB SATA drives, 4x250GB IDE/PATA drives and all the memory it can use and a fast AMD socket AM2 processor.

I'd like some suggestions on how to format/allocate the SATA drives. I imagine that one of them will be the system disk with the other 3 containing data, but ext2,3,4? Or other file system. LVM?, Raid?

The IDE/PATA drives are on my existing machine, which is on its last legs, and contain a mish-mash of mailboxes, web pages, genealogy files, archives, etc. Probably not worth worrying about at this time.

Anyway, if you have any recommendations, warnings, or other guidance, I would appreciate hearing them!

Many TIA!
Dennis