Re: Need a calculator that knows about coulombs

On Wednesday 23 December 2015 21:07:34 Bob Bernstein wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Try telling that to a couple school bus-loads of 7nth graders.
>
> I am struggling to understand what possible, unholy,
> agglomeration of powers and principalities might ever induce me
> even to get that close to a couple of 'em! I'll take a pass on
> that if it's okay with _everyone_ around here.

Amazingly, they actually paid a reasonable level of attention as I was
giving them a synopsis of how television actually worked, in words they
should understand.  It wasn't until I made the statement that I was
fairly well paid, and by the time I am ready to retire, I'll have some
input into choosing my replacement, and it would be nice to have a few
of them in the stack of resumes on my desk, nipping at my heels to get
such a job.  The news studio we were in exploded.  I asked why, and one
boy, apparently accustomed to being the class clown, said "who in his
right mind, would want such a job?" I replied, just loud enough he heard
me, "you, if you can muster the IQ it takes, but you just demoed that
you don't". 65 kids were holding their breath for the next few seconds
but he had no reparte to that.

I came away with a lot less respect for the generation that will, or is,
now running the show.

> > Its no wonder that people like me get accused of walking on
> > water, we are a dying breed.
>
> d00D! You nailed it! <g>

I'd like to think so.  My youngest, now north of 30, introduced me to the
rest of the gang in his place of work, including his employer, by
stating that "in any building I was in, my dad is the smartest one in
the building."  He's obviously easily impressed.  And despite that it
has happened in similar words before, it took me by total surprise.

How many others here can claim to have wired the house his father was
building in 1946, at the age of 12.  How many others can claim that the
tv cameras on the Trieste, when it went down into the mohole in Feburary
1960, 37000 feet deep in the pacific, had their finger prints on the
pcb's in it?  Its a pretty exclusive club and I would recognize most of
the names yet.  Or tested the fuel pressure regulators for the original
rocket (Atlas?) that gave John Glenn his first ride to the edge of
space?

There has been quite a list of BTDT's over the last 67 years while trying
to earn a living, not all of which were so "romantic", but you do what
you have to do to keep groceries in the house & the utilitis turned on.

I guess that is one of the trade marks of a "doer".  And I'm
still 'doing'.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)