Re: gufw problem

Yes!

Thank you, Jape.  This was the answer:
I guess I'm going to have to learn to hunt down (and to read) bug reports.  Ugh!

Just editing the desktop.gufw file to comment out the offending (and offensive!) line fixed it.
It now shows up (and works) in the "Favorites" bar and the application menu,  and I was even able to add it to the "classic" applications menu in the Gnome 3 "classic" desktop view.

So it works in Gnome 3.  Perhaps in XFCE there is a similar configuration file that could be edited the same way (I don't use XFCE, so I don't know).

BTW, I really think that "blocking" line in the desktop.gufw was deliberate.  I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

Thanks again to all for the help.