Re: How to fix intermittently disappearing mouse pointer ? <narrowed down>

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 11:22:57 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Steve Litt
> <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > It's not intermittent anymore. I can reproduce it at will. I can log
> > out and rerun X, and do almost anything, including change screen
> > resolution, and this symptom will not appear until I run claws-mail
> > and cursor over a message in the message list. Once I do that, the
> > symptom appears on [most|all] GUI programs, until I leave X and
> > return. Interestingly, I can run Claws-Mail and cursor over buttons
> > with popups, and the symptom doesn't appear until I've cursored
> > over a message in the message list.
> >
> > [...]
> > Joel Rees, if you're using Claws-Mail, you should view it as a
> > suspect.
>
> I use Sylpheed for some things, Google's webmail for the list. (Lazy,
> yes.)

Joel, if this fits in with the way you do business, do me this favor:
Log out of and restart X, and for a day or two never use Sylpheed, and
see if you still get the disappearing mouse cursor.

> But I think the real bug is not in Claws, although hand-installing the
> latest version of Claws may help. Be interested in what you hear from
> them.
>
> X11 should limit the amount of damage an application can do to the
> pointer, and that's what I was focusing on.

As true as that is, once we have a dead bang 100% effective
reproduction sequence, I can go to the X guys and tell them "run this
program and watch that happen", and they can't call me a crank or close
it with "couldn't reproduce symptom". This is why I want to see if it's
Sylpheed that's doing it to you.

Thahnks,

SteveT