Re: Should I install chkrootkit?

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:40:02 +0200
David Guyot <david.guyot@europecamions-interactive.com> wrote:

> I would suggest you to reinstall sysvinit,

Just to follow up on your suggestion of yesterday after a reboot today, yes the
'infected' warning in chkrootkit still appears after the sysvinit re-install.

Since however as stated last night, rkhunter says no, so I'm inclined to want to
believe in the false positive results here and go with 'not found' in rkhunter.

next question: how does one see a 'hidden file' if one receives a warning in
rkhunter about having two on your system? I can always delete /etc/.java
and /etc/.fstab but what then? (why the 'dot' in front of the .java and .fstab)

Warning: Hidden directory found: '/etc/.java'
Warning: Hidden file found: /etc/.fstab: ASCII text

thanks for your considerable comment so far

--
CK