Re: /var/cache/man/...

On 10/04/14 01:44, Mike McClain wrote:
> The other day I noticed my computer clutteres up with many
> directories in /var/cache/man/ for languages I don't speak so I
> deleted them.

That was a mistake. You're new to this "sysadmin" stuff right? ;)

> Today they're back but I can't tell how they got there.

That's good, it means your "delete what I don't like or understand"
didn't create a huge problem.

> Nothing in /etc/cron/* says anything about recreating them. I assume
> mandb did it but can't tell what initiated the recreation of all
> these directories. Nor can I see any need, I don't imagine very many
> people speak all of those 23 languages. What is the purpose of having
> all of them installed?

Um, didn't *you* install them?
Wouldn't that make it a rhetorical question?
:)

The answer of course is that most people use characters and words from a
number of languages. Those extra man pages don't take up a lot of space.

You have several options:-
;don't install all languages to start with (be selective during installs
- don't install i18n packages if you don't want internationalization)
;don't install man
;install localpurge, select only the locales you are interested in, use
it to purge other locales

> Is there a config file I can edit to limit which directories are
> created?

locales does that. Install localepurge to limit the locales supported by
installed packages.

> Thanks, Mike -- "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of
> all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Kind regards