Re: [SOLVED] /root is full

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:10:48 -0400
The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

 once every few years, and nothing
> seems to do it automatically.)
>
> Admittedly I have ridiculous amounts of local storage space, but even
> when I install Debian in a VM on a 40GB virtual hard disk, I wouldn't
> consider allocating less than 4GB for the root partition without
> *very* strong reason.

Which is *now* correct practice. It wasn't just a few years ago, when
only a workstation would be likely to have a 'one partition'
installation, and a few hundred meg was the advised size for /.

> I don't think my current 2GB of system-consumed space on / is an
> unreasonable total, all things considered... I boggled briefly at
> seeing a few hundred megabytes of usage on / considered "huge".

Not huge, but normal, and in a new stable installation today, only about
150MB would be used. Google for 'recommended partition sizes' and see
how the advice has changed over the years. Pretty much everyone until
three or four years ago, and some later, thought a separate /usr was
essential. Around the time of Red Hat 6.2, about 15 years ago, 200MB
was considered generous for / (HP server advice), 100MB more normal.

Many of us today with a stable installation upgraded from sarge, or
even earlier, stayed with original partitioning except when it was
obviously too small, even when replacing drives. It is only within the
lifetime of squeeze and wheezy that /lib/modules grew to its current
size from a few tens of MB. Some people put a lot of stuff in /root,
some hardly use it. I've always been conscious that it's in /, and
followed the latter course, putting almost nothing there but cron
scripts.

--
Joe