Re: Theme control in Xfce4

On 7/26/14, Paul Condon <pecondon1@gmail.com> wrote:
> terminal windows on the screen. When the window that has focus is too
> small to contain some long lines without folding, I like to quickly expand
> the window, either to the left or to the right, depending on what
> other window will be covered by the expansion.
>
> The old Crux had thick borders on all four sides, top, bottom, left,
> and right. This thick border made it easy to position the mouse cursor
> on a particular edge and quickly adjust it to my liking. In the new
> Crux the side borders are extremely hard to hit on with my imperfect
> eye-hand coordination. I want the old Crux back. Is there a package of
> 'legacy' themes? What is its name?

> How can I get the old Crux back? Please.

Don't have a specific answer to that.

I have a similar need/usage of xterms - and a lot of xterms - quickly
seeing more width is great, I agree.

But I do have some suggestions which may enhance your terminal
experience (but hopefully not ending terminal experience, or never not
no double negatives :)

- Algorithmic xterm layout - I posted this
once before on debian-user.

- GNU Screen, with a theme which gives nice "tabs",
I use CTRL-PgUp and CTRL-PgDn to cycle.

- XFCE has window manager keyboard shortcuts, and I have
set two shortcuts to make use of the "Window Logo" key:

* Logo-F11 - fully un/maximise current window (no window decorations)

* Shift-Logo-F11 - un/maximise (with window decorations)

Either of these keyboard shortcuts make it easy to quickly maximise
and unmaximise a particular xterm. This is different to (temporarily)
overlapping another window, but is useful to me nonetheless.

- Buy an ambidextrous Logitech Trackman Marble,
and get comfortable using it with the left hand.

This provides (I find) more accurate control than mouse, but less than
a trackpoint/nipple or trackpad. So depends what you have.
You see, I prefer window borders of just a few pixels, so don't have
much to grab, but the trackball means this is sort of equivalent to
thicker window borders for me.

Good luck :)
Zenaan