Re: Switching video card brands

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 08:42:47PM -0500, Jon N wrote:
> I hope to be installing Debian in a new computer in about a week or
> so.  It will have a Haswell processor and I hope to be able to get by
> with the built in video.  But, if it doesn't work well I have an
> Nvidia 8600GT card I can take from my old system.
>
> But, I really don't know what's involved in switching.  If the Intel
> video drivers are installed and I shutdown, install the Nvidia card
> and reboot I assume the system won't load X, although I'll have the
> command line to work with.  I have a little experience with Aptitude
> and apt-get, will installing the correct drivers remove the old ones?

Installing the new driver won't remove the old one. Both drivers can
co-exist on the same system (imagine someone with two graphics cards).
Typically, what you would do is install the new driver and start X with
no configuration file. X would then auto-detect the new card and load
the new driver, ignoring the old one[1].

> And what package name would I have to use to install Nvidia's drivers
> from the repository.

I would start with xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. But the "nvidia-driver"
metapackage may also be suitable.

> I have (almost) always used Nvidia's drivers
> downloaded from their site because when I search in Synaptic for
> nvidia I'm not sure which packages I need to install.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

[1] I believe there are complications with 3D acceleration as, I think,
only one driver can provide the system's libGL.