Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 15:06:50 +0000
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, whoever he is, he raises some valid questions. Such as - what
> > logind are supposed to do? Why bother keeping unrelated projects in
> > systemd git?
>
> He's a Gentoo developer who might be involved in OpenRC development
> (he's not its Gentoo maintainer).
>
> logind is a replacement of ConsoleKit, which is now dead upstream (and
> has been for one or two years).

OK. And why does one needed to use ConsoleKit? Seriously, I've never
installed it and may miss something.

> On my (Ubuntu) laptop:
>

> [root@lenovo15]# loginctl list-sessions
>    SESSION        UID USER             SEAT
>         c1        124 dirmngr          seat0
>         c2       1000 th               seat0
>
> 2 sessions listed.
> [root@lenovo15]# loginctl list-users
>        UID USER
>        124 dirmngr
>       1000 th
>
> 2 users listed.
> [root@lenovo15]# loginctl list-seats
> SEAT
> seat0
>
> 1 seats listed.

Neat, but I can do the same and more with good old 'w'.

> Its role is the tracking and management of user sessions.

Now it gets better. How do I, say, kill a user session with systemd? Or
logind tools for that matter? What about ssh logins?

> That somehow
> extends into power management and the first dependency of GNOME on
> systemd (that I know of) was of the power module of
> gnome-settings-daemon in GNOME 3.8.

And what does that 'power module' do? Does it changes CPU frequency
(that's kernel job btw, no userspace required)? Does it put a laptop to
sleep (handled by acpid without external assistance usually)?

> >> If the Ubuntu developers who've already split logind from systemd up
> >> to v204 throw up their hands and say it can't be done for v205+, then
> >> I'll believe it...
> >
> > Not that I'm in hurry too :)
>
> You might not be in a hurry but I'm sure that there are Debian users
> and developers who'd like to see GNOME depend on logind rather than on
> systemd.

If that's means there will be less dependencies for GNOME, count me in.

But I meant something different: I'm just a Debian user, not a DM or DD.
I can replace init with anything they put in Debian archive, but on my
hosts only.
I cannot decide what will be put in the Debian archive, or what users
will get by default.
So, I wait till next Debian stable comes out, and then I'll see what
they put there.

Reco