Re: reinstalling Nginx & others usin apt from command line

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:59:32AM +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Yes, I know that this is the normal behavior. It purged system-wide
> configuration. But, the point is, that for some people, when they
> read the man page, they think that it removes *all* configuration
> files, including the ones the application have created in userspace.
> Which it does not, we all agree about that.

Ok. What seems like common sense to some of us might not be viewed
that way by others.

> Now, the question I asked was, should the manpage be fixed to avoid
> any user to think that dpkg can remove all configuration files,
> including those which were not created by dpkg, since some
> applications create some config files themselves ( so, the user does
> not create them not manipulate them without that application's
> dedicated interface ) which can makes things confusing.

Yes, the man page should probably be fixed since it could be
misinterpreted. How about changing "purge is identical to remove
except that packages are removed and
           purged (any configuration files are deleted too)." to say
	   "purge is identical to remove except that packages are
	   removed and
           purged (any configuration files created by the package at
	   install time are deleted too).

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net