Re: Re (2): Multiplicity of accounts.

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 02:59:45PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 01:05:33PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>
> >>So why shouldn't I want the same privileges in the GUI as I have
> >>after issuing su in the command line mode?
> >
> >It's easy to screw up with root privileges when you've got a
> >command line moderating you; with a windowing system, you might
> >not even know you've screwed up until it's much too late to do
> >anything but restore from backup.
> >

> SO WHAT??? The machine is *DEDICATED* to experimenting which
> *ASSUMES* possibility of failure. There is inherently 100% backup,
> i.e. the install media. It will cost me less inconvenience to
> occasionally do a reinstall than jump through irritating unnecessary
> hoops.
>
> Is this not the age of PERSONAL computing (and implied
> responsibility for ones actions)?

You are responsible for your actions, and thus are responsible
for the consequences of your actions. By training yourself to
ignore users, groups and permissions, you will end up hurting
other people if you go out and apply this in other situations.

You can do whatever you want. Don't start shouting at me because
you asked a question and got a polite response. If you don't
choose to apologize, I will stop reading your mail.

-dsr-