Re: Setting up simple VNC Server?

Art Huston wrote at 2013-07-01 14:18 -0500:
> I'm looking for the simplest, quickest way to setup VNC Server so I can
> access my Debian machine from Windows. There are a number of ways found on
> the web -- is there a best practice?

I do not know about a "best practice", but if I decide that I need to
see a remote display, I run `x11vnc -passwd mysecret -display :0` on
the remote system (VNC server) and `vncviewer host` on the local
system to view it.  For your case, install the x11vnc package on your
Debian system and find a VNC viewer for Windows.

I have noted that it may be necessary to add `-auth guess` to the
x11vnc command, and also that I can use 'host:0', 'host:1', etc. in
the local command to refer to different X displays on the remote
system.

Security may be an issue here; comments welcome.  I have not bothered
to consider it because all my connections are either local or over a
VPN.