A home directory on removeable storage ...

... is possible.  I understand the concept of mounting
the filesystem.

Additionally there can be a backup home directory which
stays with the machine, on a hdd for example.  I imagine
that when the machine powers up without the removeable
storage, the backup home directory is instated.  When
the removeable storage is connected, the backup is
remounted as another directory in /home and the removeable
is mounted as the home.

So for example, without the removeable present /home/peter
is on the hdd.  With the removeable present, /home/peter
is on that and the hdd is /home/peter.bak with the same
ownership and privilages as /home/peter.  With udev, it
might be accomplished with one or two scripts.

This can't be an original idea.  Is it available?

Thanks,            ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12

Tel +13606390202  Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca  http://carnot.yi.org/

"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "