Re: HP NC380T Dual Port PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Card (374443-001) in Debian

On 4/1/2013 12:03 AM, egamess@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Stan,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> No, I do not have the card for now. Just planning to buy a
> dual port Gigabit PCI-e Ethernet card.
>

>> The Intel cards are always cheaper, work out-of-the-box with the stock
>> Intel drivers in Squeeze 2.6.32.  I don't know if the Broadcom chip on
>> the HP NC380 is supported by the Squeeze 2.6.32 though it surely is in
>> the backports 3.2.x kernel.  The other big concern is non-free firmware
>> it may require, which may make it a PITA to use with Debian.
>
> What about Intel Pro/1000 PCI-e cards???
> The problem is that there are a lot of models of this card.
> A cheap one that I find has reference model E-G021-04-5215 ????

Every Intel NIC from the Pro/100+ 32bit PCI card that's over 13 years
old, to the newer 10GbE models, is supported by the vanilla Linux kernel
drivers, thus by all Linux distros.  The only problem here seems to be
that you're expecting every card revision# to be listed in some driver
compatibility document.  No such doc exists.  Compatibility is by card
family and/or ASIC model, not card revision.  "E-G021-04-5215" is a
model specific revision number and thus irrelevant.  As of Linux 3.2.x
the following Intel NICs are supported.  The first two are 32bit PCI bus
cards.  These drivers cover the entire Intel NIC product line.

Intel(R) PRO/100+ support
Intel(R) PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet support
Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet support
Intel(R) 82575/82576 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet support
Intel(R) 82576 Virtual Function Ethernet support
Intel(R) PRO/10GbE support
Intel(R) 10GbE PCI Express adapters support
Intel (82586/82593/82596) devices

--
Stan