Re: Avoiding restricted boot hardware

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm reading that the restricted boot problems are far from solved and
> that some of the early hardware [1] in particular objects to Linux.  Can
> anyone recommend brands or models of desktop (dinosaur) hardware that is
> currently safe for Debian?

I've installed Ubuntu on four secure-boot laptops without a problem.

> [1]     "As it turned out, almost all of the Windows 8 machines
>         that first appeared had Secure Boot implemented in such
>         a way that Linux was locked out. Workarounds have
>         appeared, but..."

This is nonsense (where are his references? FUD!). There have been
problems (see [A] below) but...

(The Samsung problem is an EFI problem not an SB one.)

[A] http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/22028.html

> http://ostatic.com/blog/torvalds-windows-8-secure-boot-tantrum-leads-back-to-microsofts-moves#buzz

This story isn't about secure boot not working, it's about a request
to allow MS-signed binaries to be added on-the-fly as kernel modules.