Re: Cost of packages in disk space?

Jon Dowland wrote at 2013-02-25 11:35 -0600:
> As for cumulative space, what you want is not how much space a package takes up
> but to answer the question: for a given set of package operations, what space
> will be occupied/freed? In my experience, firing up aptitude, programming in
> the proposed change (removals or additions) and hitting 'go' once, gives you
> the space changes that would result if you hit 'go' a second time.

So, imagine that I have a full filesystem and want to fix it by
removing a single package.  I would need to get a list of manually
installed packages, and go through each one of them individually,
proposing a removal and saving aptitude's freed space result.  A week
later, I might have a list of freed space values to sort.  So this
would have to be scripted to be useful, but even then would probably
take quite a long time unless you could make aptitude keep the loaded
resolver information in memory between interations.