carrying running laptop, was: Re: Acpi "Lid" Suspend with Eeepc 900 Not Working

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 11:15:06PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> That is my normal method of sleeping my laptop.  I consider it a
> feature.  It sleeps when I tell it to and not just because I closed
> the lid.  Allows me to carry my laptop from here to there and open it
> and not have it asleep and needing to reconnect and not having killed
> my ssh logins.  (And without using screen, autossh or mosh.  Although
> connections over the vpn will bridge.)

This begs the question, though not directly related to debian. For
those of us with electro-mechanical drives, is it safe to carry the
laptop while the hard drive is running? In the old days, moving a
running hd was a major no-no. I know laptop hdds are used in some
media players, but how do they actually hold up in those?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1