Re: libdrm-nouveau2/libdrm-radeon1 installed as requirement to libgl1-mesa-dri

On Dec 10, 2013 at 14:54, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 08:06:42PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > Sometimes there are insane hard dependencies, but what's bad with those
> > dependencies? Take a look at the modules compiled into the default
> > kernel, most modules are unneeded on your machine ;).
>
> Huh? That is not insane at all! It allows the kernel to boot on as many
> machines as possible.
>
> AFAIU, only the modules which are necessary for your machine are
> actually loaded, so approx. an extra 20MB is used(?) which, these days,
> shouldn't be a problem.

Hm, somehow I haven't seen response mail from Ralf.  OK, you guys that makes it
pretty clear.

I've been paying attention to kernel dependencies and quite for some time I did
compiled custom kernel, but in the end I've tired, since anyway not much
performance is gained.

Being a Gentoo fan/user for a while I was just curious about software
management and possibility to limit dependencies of software packages in
Debian.

Cheers,

-Ivan