override kernel version with make-kpkg

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to override the default kernel package versions generated by make-kpkg.  With 3.0+ kernels, the kernel sublevel (as in VERSION.PATCHLEVEL.SUBLEVEL), which is incremented when there are stable updates for a kernel release, is used to generate the package name.  This produces packages with names like 'linux-image-3.10.22-mycustomversion_amd64.deb'.  Unfortunately this means you can't upgrade these packages automatically with apt-get because apt-get thinks this is a new version of the package (instead of just an updated revision of the existing package version).

I would like to be able to make packages called 'linux-image-3.10-myversion_amd64.deb', or 'linux-image-3.10.0-myversion_amd64.deb', so that these packages can be automatically upgraded via apt-get and a self-hosted repository.

I'm building against the upstream vanilla kernel.

I've tried editing the toplevel Makefile and setting SUBLEVEL = 0.  While this does produce packages with version 3.10.0-something, the generated file include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h now indicates that the kernel is actually version 3.10.0 instead of 3.10.22.  The stock kernel on wheezy (3.2.0) seems to have a correct value in version.h regardless of the package version.

Any thoughts on how this can be done?

Thanks,
Mike