Re: debian xfce network tethering an SGS2

Apologies for responding to my own post, but here some more evidence of USB tethering failure, On 28/11/2013 15:56, Ron Leach wrote:

Expected behaviour:
- Plug in SGS2 to laptop USB port, set USB tethering
- See a new interface listed in wicd

After further testing, this would never be possible in wicd.

wicd only 'looks' at whatever 'two' interfaces (wicd is limited to 2) are set in its 'preferences' tab. On most laptops - such as this I am using - those settings are (and will likely always be) eth0 and wlan0. wicd can never 'see' usb0 if eth0 and wlan0 are also present.

Not knowing much about the networking setup in the machine,

I've done some more trials. After disconnecting the laptop from the existing LAN, plugging in SGS2, setting USB tethering, and with the SGS2 in coverage and sustaining a data connection to the mobile network, I tried these commands:

# ifdown usb0
replies with
"usb0 not configured"

# ifup usb0
replies with
"Ignoring unknown interface usb0=usb0."

#ifconfig usb0
replies with
"usb0"
and a table of
"[Ethernet type, a MAC address, MTU 1500, and several lines of tx and rx parameters, all zero.]"

In my experience, it would seem that USB tethering, at least for the first time, is not possible just by plugging it in to Wheezy/XFCE, and doing
ifup usb0

Something else perhaps must also be needed. Maybe something else needs setting up.

As I mentioned, I know relatively little about the networking process in Linux or Debian, and would be grateful for any suggestions. I wondered about defining 'usb0' somewhere, maybe in
/etc/network/interfaces,
but I really have no idea what to set as a configuration. On the other hand, Wheezy seems to think it has some kind of config, already, as posted just above, so I am not at all sure.

regards, Ron