Re: Stable Package: PostgreSQL 9.1 to 9.3 ?

On 27/11/13 12:45, Jonathan Fortin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The latest stable release of Debian contains PostgreSQL 9.1. But, on the
> PostgreSQL web-site the version 9.3 is available for Debian.
>
> So, I would like to know if is a good practice or not to install a new
> version which doesn't come from the release.

It's neither good nor bad. Just not extensively tested.

> Note: we want to keep the stability of the server as much as possible,
> it's very imporant for us.
>
> I await your comments.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jonathan

I'd favour the one packaged from upstream by Debian over the one
packaged upstream in .deb format. But that's just an opinion.

It has no dependencies so you don't even need to add another release
repository and pin. Installation is as simple as:-
$ wget
http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/postgresql-common/postgresql_9.3+150_all.deb
# dpkg -i postgresql_9.3+150_all.deb

But your mileage will depend on what you use it with - I've had no
problems with several installations (mostly Squeeze, some Wheezy), but
I'm conservative and would suggest using it in a chroot wherever
possible in case you have issues with applications that use it and need
to preserve your existing setup, certainly a pg_dump in case pg_upgrade
fails.

Kind regards