Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On 11/26/2013 11:23 AM, AP wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Catalin Soare
> <lolinux.soare@gmail.com> wrote:> Hello there!
>
>> Then, come back to Debian. Unless you choose any testing or non-stable
>> variants, you will notice that it truly is stable and once setup, things
>> Just Work (TM).
>
> Stable in what sense. Means we don't need to install anything again for years?

/snip/

Stable means the producers of the distro believe that the bugs have been
all removed. That does _not_ mean that they won't change it tomorrow,
and for some applications, you might have to upgrade--i.e.,
install a new release of that system, or the app won't work.
There are two other options you might want to consider:
1. Ubuntu has a system--I forget what it's called--that they guarantee
will be stable and supported without change for five years.
2. PCLinuxOS systems--whether 32 or 64 bit, or KDE, or LXDE, etc, are
on what they call a "rolling release"--you never have to reinstall a
new system: upgraded files are made available as they are tested and
certified OK, and you just upgrade them via the system software. Even
new kernels are made available. The only time you would have to
make a new installation would be to change from 32 bit to 64 bit.
It should be noted that once in a while, the upgrade of some file
doesn't work the way it's supposed to, or affects something it
shouldn't. This doesn't happen very often, but it _does_ happen.
(I use PCLOS, so I know!)

There are a few other rolling release distros, but I don't know which
ones they are--probably Googling will find them.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley