Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 16:03:54 AP wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Andrew Wood
>
> <andrew@perpetualmotion.co.uk> wrote:
> > After many years of using Linux on servers and my primary desktop
> > I would only recommend Debian. Its solid and reliable, other
> > distros ive found to be very buggy
[snip]

> > My primary machine is only a Core 2 Duo but its running Debian 7
> > with Gnome 3 without any issues and is more than adequate for
> > LibreOffice and web browsing speedily
>
> Oh well. By saying solid and reliable, you mean it is worth
> installing.

It is certainly worth installing, but what he means, I think, is that
it will rarely, if ever, crash, be almost bug-free (nothing is
totally bug-free in all possible situations), has good security
updates and can be relied on.  It Just Works.

My husband, who likes a trouble-free life, is quite clear that he
wants the stable version of Debian.   (He gets Debian anyway.)

If you want the latest, greatest, newest hardware and software, then
Debian Stable is not for you.  If you want reliability, an ability to
run on almost anything, and a peaceful life, then Wheezy - 7.2 - (the
current Stable) is the one for you.

Lisi