Re: Privacy Debian 7

* On 2013 25 Nov 10:17 -0600, praetorien wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm a Windows user, but Microsoft may collect privacy information
> about users witch is not good, so I wonder does Debian 7.2 collect ANY
> information about Users or monitoring?

As far as I am aware, no.  There is a small caveat and that is the
popcon (popularity contest) package that will record the packages you
have installed and send an email for statistics to the developers.  It
is an opt-in package meaning that you will be queried by the Debian
installer if you want to install the popcon package and then the popcon
package will query if you wish to participate.  There is no penalty or
reduction of functionality in Debian if popcon is not installed.

Some individual packages may have their own logic for reporting usage
statistics and such and will likely be opt-in as well.  This is most
often limited to third party packages such as Firefox or Chrome which
are not packaged in Debian (Iceweasel is the DFSG free version of
Firefox and is a Debian package).

- Nate