Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On 11/24/2013 12:34 PM, AP wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have finally decided to come and use Linux, even when I know that it
> is a bit more typical than Windows, which is being used mostly. I know
> I can Google the things but the purpose of asking here is to know from
> the experienced user who really can tell the reality or "behind the
> scenes" story. I have the following queries, which I am explaining but
> also request to let me know where I am wrong in my thoughts.
>
> (i) Which Distribution:
>
> I guess Linux is kernel only. So all should be the same. So as per the
> experts needs, can I know which is better? Given my context: A
> computer with 250 GB hard-disk and 2 GB RAM and it is of "not so new,
> not so old" type. Further, I want to use Linux in my daily works which
> are simple like office works (documentation) and web surfing because I
> am in the job which is no more related with computers......So this is
> just my hobby part.
>
> (ii) DEB vs RPM
>
> Well, just heard these are package managers but an end user is no more
> concerned with both of them. But still, from the information point of
> view, I am curious to know about each one and especially how is one
> good at some point and and the other is good as some other task...or
> may be both are that efficient...
>
> Further, I guess Debian is one of the oldest Linux distribution.
>
> Thanks.

You are going to get a lot of opinions here, and as a result you may be
just as confused as you are now! But here are some points to consider:
You're right that the kernel is just about the same for all. It's the
realization of the system, mainly two particulars, that distinguish
each from another. The two are the Graphic User Interface (GUI) and
the package manager.

The GUI is responsible for much of the system requirements. You will
be much better off using LXDE or XFCE as a GUI, since their system
requirements are the lowest. You should not be looking at GNOME,
in any of its variations, or KDE, with your low-end hardware.

PCLOS has an LXDE version which I have tried, and it works fine, altho I
use its big brother KDE. But I have the hardware to do so.
LXDE looks somewhat like Windows, so it should be easy to adapt to.

The other differentiator is the package manager. I have a very strong
opinion here: the package manager MUST display the available programs
that you can choose from. If it doesn't, you will have to have a list
from somewhere. The idea of using "apt-get-install filename" is just
beyond my belief. So you need some kind of file manager that displays
all available files, and you just highlight one and tell it install.
I am partial to Synaptic, which is available on Mint and PCLOS, and I
don't know what else.

That said, for the user, there is not much to choose between deb and
RPM. I haven't tried to create either of these from scratch, altho I
have looked at the creation of RPMs, and it looks hairy. If you need
to obtain some software that is not in the distro's repo, (they all
tell you not to, but sometimes you must) most manufacturers who
supply apps in deb also supply the same apps in RPM. Some don't
supply either, and you have to unpack, compile, and install yourself,
but that is not difficult.

Now let the fur fly!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley