Re: about MS email retrieve

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 20:08:31 +0200
Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/23/2013 06:41 PM, Joe wrote:
> > has to live with it as there are no MS alternatives.
>
> Not quite.  Citadel and Kolab offer the same functionality, but in a
> more secure, modular architecture.  Recently OpenChange is a
> transparent replacement:
>
> 	http://www.zentyal.org/2013/10/zentyal-launches-the-only-native-microsoft-exchange-replacement/
>
> though hopefully it is not as insecure and bugridden.  I don't know
> when, if or how it would be ported to Debian.

I meant 'published by Microsoft'. There are a number of mail servers
available for Windows, most being much less complex than Exchange, most
small businesses not needing anything as complex as Exchange.

But a business using MS servers will move to third-party products
reluctantly. Everything on the machine that isn't part of the server
operating system is a potential accident waiting to happen. The
ecosystem is fragile enough, without foreign software being added. I
would not consider installing even Firefox on a client's Windows server.

--
Joe