Google & other web mail (was Re: top posting)

Brad Alexander grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> Actually, I can see the point of posting inline, however, leave it to
> google and other mail apps to go and ruin it. In the gmail web interface,
> when you reply to an email or even a thread, you get the text entry box,
> with the message you are responding to hidden by a "..." icon. Thus, if you
> are not paying attention or are trying to respond quickly, it is easily
> overlooked. I posted in a thread earlier, and was surprised when someone
> started their response with "don't top post." I didn't even realize I had,
> thanks again to google.

In case you were unaware of it, GMail & Yahoo Mail both support
encrypted POP3 & IMAP access to your mail, so you can use the E-Mail
client of your choice if you want to.  I use Thunderbird with my both my
GMail and Yahoo mail accounts and it works just fine.  That way I can
easily do quote-and-reply properly, and I don't have to look at their
ads since I'm not using their web interface.  Bonus! :-)

If you want to know how to configure a mail program for use with your
GMail account, feel free to contact me off-list (since that's really not
a Debian thing; I don't want to clutter up the list with that discussion).

                  --Dave