Re: Toshiba Satellite C50d/A00L laptop, can't install Debian - any version......

Charlie, 19.11.2013:

> Trying to install Debian on this lappy and keep hitting a brick wall.
>
> The same message with the Jessie or Wheezy netinstall iso or the
> first Install DVD of Jessie or Wheezy:
>
> "No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch
> between the kernel used by this version of the installer and the
> kernel version in the archive."

There was a bug report to the debian-boot list recently:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2013/11/msg00143.html

Sounds like the same problem, but only for jessie and sid, though.

> Then I continue because this can be rectified once a mirror has been
> chosen and there is no Ethernet card found, and there is no wireless
> option when looking for network hardware?

Are you able to proceed with the rest of the install, to get a minimal
base installed?

> So that's the brick wall. I have the installer search a USB stick that
> has every kind of realtek and every other driver I can find, but no joy.
>
> I have tried it with different wireless dongles which aren't even
> recognised. Just no Ethernet, never wireless.
>
> I also get the error message:

I wouldn't worry about that, at least for now.

> The Ethernet device is RTL8101E/RTL8102E Fast Internet controller.
>
> The wireless device is Device 8179 9 (rev 01)

Googling around, it seems that you probably need proprietary drivers
from the Realtek website, _for both of these devices_.  (And for the
wired device, you need to blacklist another module the linux kernel
chooses by default.)  I didn't really read the details much, but you
might want to check out
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1964200 (wired)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2162026 (wireless)

Further googling might get you something better/easier.