Re: Remote xboard without Desktop Environment

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 02:38:53PM -0200, Beco wrote:

> >> [Fox] -> ssh -> [Lizard] -> xboard-protocol -> [Flik] <-
> >> xboard-protocol <- [netizens]
> >
> > One possibility might be to use "screen" or "tmux" to provide a
> > detachable console. I don't know if the exact details of this are
> > possible, but it might be possible to do the following:
> >
> >   fox$ ssh lizard
> >   lizard$ screen        # starts a new screen session
> >   lizard$ xboard-server   # Somehow run xboard in a text-only mode
> >   lizard$ Ctrl+A Ctrl+D   # Detach the screen session. xboard continues
> >                             to run in the background
> >   lizard$ logout
>

> I apt-get-installed screen and Ctrl-A-D worked as a charm.

I realise I neglected to mention that you should run "screen -r" to
reattach to the running screen next time you want to interact with the
xboard server. See the man page, though, for good use of the -d and -r
switches.

> The real mystery now is how to run xboard! :)
>
> This line:
>
> >   fox$ xboard      # Fox connects to the xboard server in the same way
> >                      that flik does.
>
> Just to clarify, I think you meant:
>
> fox$ xboard -ics Flik # Fox connects to Flik server the same way other
> players (netizens) do.

Probably, I haven't used xboard itself, I figured you'd know how to use
it.

> > In other words, we treat Flik and Fox the same (as clients, talking the
> > xboard protocol to lizard, which runs purely as a server).
> >

> Flik is the ICS (internet chess server, or xboard server), not a client.

Ah, OK. So Flik rather than Lizard is the server. I think I
misunderstood there. In that case you want to make Lizard the client.

Hmm. I don't know of a program like screen that works for X connections
(i.e. allows you to detach and reattach them). There are, however,
programs that will run the client on a virtual display and you can then
view that display on Fox. For that, look at a VNC or RDP server. Here,
the basic workflow would be similar to screen; you start a VNC or RDP
server on lizard, you connect a viewer program on fox to the display on
lizard, you start xboard on the virtual display, you can then disconnect
and reconnect to that virtual display.