Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:53:23 +0100
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 12.11.2013 19:46, Joe a écrit :
> > The government of my country requires pretty much all business
> > taxation
> > to be dealt with by their own software over the Net, and though they
> > offer a Linux fig-leaf, it doesn't cover much e.g. needs 32 bit
> > support, which no longer exists in sid (no, it doesn't work in a
> > 32-bit Wheezy VM on 64 bit sid). I don't do that work on the
> > laptop, so
> > the dual-boot isn't really relevant, but it is another reason that
> > I do
> > need to keep Windows around the house.
>
> And what about multi-arch?
> You could add the i386 arch to your amd64 install, and then try to
> install that software. It is what I did for skype, and what is also
> needed for wine, now.

I don't know, I ran out of time, and now the wretched software is
running properly on my wife's machine at the other end of a remote
desktop, with the machine doing wake-on-lan, so it will be some time
before anything further gets done.

I'm not actually a computer professional, and I do resent having to
waste large amounts of time making things work. At the moment I'm trying
hard to make LibreOffice Base do some of the things Access was doing in
1995, without crashing. It is around half-way usable, as long as I
don't want it to do anything more complicated than phpmyadmin can do
with data, which isn't much.

--
Joe