Re: Audio from TV capture card

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 07:43:26PM -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:
> All right, I'm out of ideas. In my wife's sid machine, she has a Hauppague
> BT878-class TV capture card connected to a cable box. She uses tvtime to
> watch television when she is on the computer. About a week ago, she
> suddenly had no audio from the card. She turned off one evening before
> going to bed, and the next morning, she turned it on, and had no audio. I
> have looked at in kmix, alsamixer, the kde sound settings, and, I think,
> even the pavucontrol app (it was one of the pulseaudio apps, can't remember
> which one -- pulse audio and I have had a contentious relationship at
> best). Nothing. No changes were made between when she turned tvtime off and
> when she turned it back on the next morning. I also tried using vlc to
> connect to the capture card, and still no audio.

Since you seem to have explored the software side of things, how about
the hardware side? How does the card's audio out get to the pc?
Through a cable connected from the back of the card to the sound card's
line-in? If yes, have you attempted to connect another device to the
sound card's line-in jack through a different patch cable, or the same
one used by the tv card? If the tv card is connected to the sound card
by an internal cable, have you tried a different cable, or tried
connecting a cd drive audio out to the sound card connection
previously used by the tv card?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net