Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 15 November 2013 17:06:55 Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> # mkdir /run/network
>>> # ifup lo
>>>
>>> lo now has an IP address.
>>> eth0 is still "unknown interface" :-(
>>
>> cat /etc/network/interfaces
>
> It was:
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> It is now <%$&()&^$£%>:
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface

Are you comparing pre- and post-diest-upgrade?

Re-adding the two etho lines should fix it all for you - unless a
reboot deletes them, somehow!

If it happened via the dist-upgrade (and not via debconf), grepping
"/var/lib/dpkg/info/*" for "/etc/network/interfaces" might give you
the culprit; most likely the ifupdown scripts in there.