Re: Why Debian

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 17:15 +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
Is there a better distro for managing
source-based in installs from upstream (and I'm not talking Gentoo,
where Portage is a packaging system for source code - I'm talking
semi-automatic management and updates from upstream source.  Any
thoughts?
You'll still end up with some "package" concept
True, but that's not an issue, it does allow you to install a "package"
and this package then will download the source from upstream. You will
be ask if you want to automatically let build the package, or if you
want to configure it first.

It occurs to me to ask: is there anything like this for Debian? (I know about checkinstall, but it doesn't "download source from upstream").

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman